What is Oxy-Septic?OXY-SEPTIC is a Natural Choices’ oxygen bleach especially formulated for use in septic systems. It is an environmentally safe product that naturally reacts with the buildup of sulfides in the drainfield (also called leach fields or absorption fields). This chemical reaction produces oxygen and a nontoxic material which flows and allows the soil’s bacteria to work. The oxygen does two things: 1) aids the growth of the soil’s natural bacteria and 2) reduces the soil compaction creating passages for water to flow. There are no toxic by-products left in the soil after using OXY-SEPTIC.
OXY-SEPTIC is added to the system after the septic tank to remove organic materials and sulfides clogging the drainfield pipes. If OXY-SEPTIC is introduced before the tank, it will react with the waste in the tank and have no effect on the drainfield. When OXY-SEPTIC is poured directly into the distribution box, it will be distributed into the drainfield as water flows.
How does OXY-SEPTIC work?
OXY-SEPTIC is primarily composed of sodium percarbonate which is made by treating soda ash with oxygen. In this process the soda ash picks up oxygen and then releases it when added to water. The released oxygen breaks down organic matter and sulfides clogging your drainfield pipes without killing the helpful bacteria in your septic system. Oxygen bleach produces no harmful by-products which negatively affect the environment. It is important that OXY-SEPTIC be added directly to the Distribution Box (NOT the Septic Tank) so that this chemical reaction can take place in the drainfield.
What else can I do to keep my septic system healthy?
1. Septic tanks should be pumped periodically to keep them from overflowing and clogging the drainfield with solid matter. The frequency depends upon the size of the tank and the size of your household.
2. Conserve and spread out water use.
3. Be careful of what is put into your septic system. The overuse of heavy cleaners kills the beneficial bacteria in the septic tank preventing solids from breaking down efficiently. You may want to consider using some of Natural Choices environmentally friendly cleaning products instead of more toxic household cleaners. Minimize the solids placed into your wastewater.
4. Protect your drainfield from damage by heavy equipment, plant roots and construction.
USES AND INSTRUCTIONS:
Maintaining or Restoring a Septic System Drainfield
1. Have the tank periodically pumped.
2. Locate the distribution box- the professional who pumps the tank should be able to help with this. If you cannot access your distribution box or if your septic system contains drywell and cesspools, consult the Arcan website and follow the instructions for Septic Scrub (www.arcan.com). If the box is buried deeply, consider installing a riser on it to gain access. OXY-SEPTIC will only work when added between the septic tank and the drainfield.
3. Several days prior to use: Remove standing water from the drainfield if possible. Pump the distribution box until no more water flows from the drainfield. Allow the drainfield to dry out for a few days.
4. Day 1: Add 9 pounds of OXY-SEPTIC to the distribution box. Run hose for 15 minutes into distribution box to distribute the OXY-SEPTIC throughout the lateral pipes.
5. For best results, repeat the step 4 procedure on days 3, 5, and 7.
We recommend using OXY-SEPTIC twice a year as regular maintenance for your septic system.
Ingredients: Sodium Percarbonate, Soda Ash.
Natural Choices is not liable for any septic system damage from the misuse of our product.
Many factors can be the cause of drain fields not flowing properly. There are also many factors which determine the water absorption capabilities of a drain field. The most common causes of drainfield failure are 1) hydraulic overloading; 2) excessive biomat formation; 3) poor site evaluation and system design or installation; 4) compaction of the soil in the drainfield during or after installation; 5) soil-mineral bonding, (in high clay soils).
While OXY-SEPTIC can be used to assist in helping a drain field perform better, it cannot overcome many of the problems cited above. Before purchasing OXY-SEPTIC please make sure that you have ruled out other factors that would prevent OXY-SEPTIC from performing properly.